The structure was made out of expanded polystyrene, then I use different materials to create the ground texture.
First I made a structure out of wire, then I added some actual ground dirt with wood glue to create the texture. After that I fix it on the base, sculpting the roots with miliput. Then added some branches with seafoam. And finally, as I wasn't happy with the trunc thickness, I added some volume to it using miliput again.
Later on, the leafs was made out of coffee filters, and glued to the branches one by one.
The river bed
I didn't want to let the river bet with the same texture as the ground.
It will be visible inside the resin so I needed to put some more effort on it.
So I created some flat rocks with miliput and add some balast texture, then paint it and add some reflection effects.
To bring some life to the scene, I added some small animals. The fish is a resin casted on. I just had to paint it and add it the the river. The butterflies though are handmade, out of coffee filter again.
I painted the minotaur as I was building the base, alternate from one to another.